thoughts about jesus, travelogs, and anything else i can find swimming around in my head....



your own little world...


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



"we all just get in our own little worlds, will. that is just how life goes." this comment from one has really haunted me for a bit. in fact i guess it was about 2 weeks ago since the comment. and there have been subsequent conversations that have spurred on thoughts of this since then. i guess the reason that i have thought so much about it is because i disagree with it so much. i think actually this is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing. should i stay in my own little bubble and just watch life go by? Not getting involved with others on a large, impractical, uncomfortable stage at all? should we just do our own things and not really care much about what is going on with my brothers and sisters outside of Sundays? And not only our brothers and sisters close, but those far away and that we may not even know? quite honestly i think this is a big part of what is wrong with the church of today. The inward focus is wrong and the selfishness of our lives is quite the opposite of what Christ taught. As much as I would to think it is all about me, it just isn’t. we as humans, need other humans. To interact with, to learn from, to just be with. True community is what Christ calls us to be. True community where justice prevails, love is taught, and people know and depend on each other. The knowing each other, in my opinion, is key to this whole thing working. Why is it that I know most of my non-christian friends better than my Christian brothers and sisters? Why do I feel more comfortable telling them my hurts, fears, screw-ups and dreams? My theory is that we are brought up in a fashion that makes us want to appear as a Christian to other Christians. Why do we do this? We are righteous only because Christ makes us this way. Not because we are any better than a person who doesn’t believe in Christ. And what does this being a Christian look like? That crazy mask that we put on one day a week as we step into (probably down into) once or maybe twice a week? Well – I can tell you that is doesn’t involve us all looking alike, acting alike, or even having all the same beliefs. Obviously I am not talking about fundamental Christian beliefs. But what I am saying is that we can disagree on politics, current issues, moral conflicts and loads of other things while still being Christians in this life together. We do not all have to have the same points of view on everything. We are created differently and we should embrace that. Why are people who come into our churches who look differently than we do, shunned so much? Why are we so uncomfortable? Why do we want everyone in our churches to think alike? Why do we not like for people to ask why? The house of god is not for holy people. It is for sinners like myself and I can come as I am at any time. We should be getting dirty, exposing our souls on a daily basis to each other and learning from those around us. Get to know your neighbor and love them for what they are. Don’t pull any punches with honesty and love. And by all means don’t think that a church is a building. It is people. jesus doesn’t live in that building that you go to occasionally. Im trying to let myself open up to everyone these days. Tell that what is actually happening with me, and listen to what is happening with them. No matter how ugly and terrible it might be, I am just tired of faking it. So if you ask me how I am from now on – just be ready…


4 Responses to “your own little world...”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Will, have you heard of a paragraph? Even though the tiny white words were hard to read, what you're talking about is so what I've been thinking about lately... do I stay in "my own world" when it's easier than getting to know people I'll be moving away from so soon? Or is that hiding from life. One is easier than the other, but the other is what life is all about. And the messiness of my life, is chiefly known by my non-christian friends too, 'cause I know they won't judge me. What we do at church is speak christianize and wear a mask. And I'm tired of it but don't know exactly how to change it...

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    amen bro,
    thanks for this will!

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    So, How are you?

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    "We all just get in our own little worlds, will. That is just how life goes."… “i guess the reason that i have thought so much about it is because i disagree with it so much. i think actually this is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing.”

    which part do you disagree with? how we get into our own little worlds or that is just how life goes?

    I do regretfully see how we as christians get into our own little worlds. not saying that we should, but we do. also, not just limiting that to christians, all makes of people do this: blacks, gays, rich, poor, rednecks, liberals …so on so on. we all have our “group”. i do agree it should be the opposite, but there is a vast difference between what we should be doing and what in actuality we do. all humans have this desire of what we should do... “that was my seat”; “hey i give you some of my drink give me some of yours”; “that’s not fair”. all are comments of what someone should have done.

    by the way, thanks for writing. as for the church and it’s role. i personally find myself constantly wanting to give up on the church of today. but how would i be where i am today if wasn’t for the church. so how do we choose between loyalty and obedience, both which are good. the answer is truth, stop the fakeness, starting in church. Often I wandered why can’t i talk to my christian friends about personal issues. my Sunday school teacher or devotion leader would ask a question; out of fear of rejection or banishment i would sit in silence. you see that is fakeness: silence. i had questions i wanted to ask, but i didn’t. i noticed that it started with me. right is right , wrong is wrong and fakeness was me.

    if i say something then that is what i’m suppose to do, what then if someone sees me doing different than what i say. so i will just say nothing. then when the time comes i will just work up a story that sounds good. ignorance, no one can attack that. but ignorance is generally what causes us as human to attack.

    the point is: if the church is fake go to the church and be real.

    remember we should be helping the lost! even in church!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


about...

  • me...will
  • where...Kenya
  • an american living in kenya, chasing dreams and the shadow of my god...
  • even more info...
Add me to Skype

Previous posts

archives...

praha..where my heart is


ATOM 0.3